Porridge just never gets boring to me. I enjoy a warm bowl of porridge as much as I do overnight oats. They’re both pretty fast to make and they’re so versatile. Overnight oats are perfect for summer days or when you need a quick breakfast before running out the door. If you have ten minutes you can make a warm bowl of porridge in the morning, and this is what I did today.
I’d made some cherry compote and thought it was perfect to go on top of my porridge, so I came up with this gorgeous, packed with flavour bowl of goodness. Vanilla porridge with cherry compote and cacao nibs. I’m all about textures when I’m eating and this turned out a great combo of crunch, gooey, smooth and juicy. I enjoyed it so much and wanted to share it.
You can make the cherry compote in advance- although it only takes 10 minutes, or you can make it whilst you make your porridge.
Serves: 1 Cooking time: 10 minutes Total tinme: 15 minutes
Vanilla Porridge with Cherry Compote and Cacao Nibs
A tsp vanilla essence
1 small banana
1 tsp Cacao nibs (I used Organic Raw and Natural Cacao Nibs, 250 g ) -link
1 tsp mixed seeds (Wholefood Earth: Organic Omega 4 Seed Mix 1kg | Raw | GMO Free) – link
For the compote:
200g cherries, soft & pitted
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp honey
- Add oats to a sauce pan and cover with boiling water. Add a pinch of salt and tsp vanilla essence.
- Stir well for 5 minutes or until oats are cooked. If need be add more water.
- Serve the compote (recipe below) on the porridge, mixed seeds & cacao nibs.
- If you want you can add some milk.
For the compote:
- Add pitted cherries to a sauce pan on medium high heat stirring for 5 minutes to not let them stick.
- Squash whilst stirring with a wooden spoon and when they release their liquids add the rest of the ingredients and stir for another 5 minutes. If need be add a little water.
I absolutely loved this porridge, the sweetness of the cherries with the crunch and nibs along with the smoothness of the porridge. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.
Make sure to share this with friends and family who you know will love it!
Per serving: 324 Kcal, 48g carbs, 5g fat, 8g protein
Happy cooking and eating,